[governance] current politics around the IGF

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:55:23 EDT 2010

Dear Parminder,

I have been reading the earlier posts on NN and Open Internet and then
of course the discussions surrounding IGF politics, I wanted to learn
from you more critically that do regions across the world really
depend on IGF to be improved especially when they may be getting more
out of the regional and country IGFs' taking place and by stakeholders
on their own. What is the polity of the regional IGFs and their
institutionalization?

Let's say for example EURODIG which is of course the EU and CoE
countries getting together and delivering messages that they can
utilize in various means suitable to them and every year this forum is
maturing and becoming results oriented, political and suitable to the
regions need. One of the results I have noted is that the EU
stakeholders come very strong to the IGF with their opinions and
messages cultivated and thought out and you see a level of cooperation
amongst the various stakeholders of that region.

I see the above case where IGF is still missing the point and where
certain stakeholders not in the right of messages or an outcome are
already falling pray to the EURODIG process. Its like the blind men
and a white elephant examples.

In terms of IGF and its programming, earlier last year I witnessed on
the floor CS stakeholders opposing the idea of IG4D and also on
certain areas we had prior agreed to. I see politics within us as
well. I have also seen certain CS stakeholders maintaining diplomacy
within the organizations they work with not to touch controversy
within the IGF but would do so in the IGC. These are various
interesting forces at interplay inside and all around us. Would these
also matter to the IGF politics debate?

I am really looking forward to your comments on this because these
points are really shaping up the current polity?

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa
     governance at lists.cpsr.org