[governance] multistakeholderism

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:51:31 EDT 2010

Seeing that we agree on the most important point *Your E-colonization
appears equivalent in essence to my "acid test for freedom".  the bulk
of the rest is mostly to the benefit of additional perspective (ir
difference therein) or experience, or addition of new angles or
insights.

Although you say you derive your fundamental principles from different
sources (internet binary "code" vs. legal "code") the way I 'hear'
what you're saying about the universal principles of the internet is
highly suggestive (to me) that your keen observations about the HUMAN
intelligence and creativity and behavior on the internet or in
relation to it is a language you can expertly read into evidence of
human nature, etc.   That may not be the most global and precise
summary of your position, but the point I'm leading to stands
nevertheless, I think, especially since I've grounded it in my own
personal feeling!  :) And that is that you observe natural justice and
its corruptions via the most salient aspects of the internet, and I
observe them through not so much law (although that's included) but
political theory and philosophy on the nature of Aristotle's "politcal
animal" as "updated" by the ages.  But, if true, then that means that
we are aiming for the same star as our guide, and even though we
expect not to reach that guidestar, like a mariner without the stars
(compass and astrolabe) we would be lost indeed without the star to
give us direction.

And that "star" is very near the following, perhaps the shortest
illustration of what I think democracy "means" but clearly that word
has too much baggage for some discussions because too many crimes have
been committed in the name of democracy. (I always separate the idea
from its imperfect implementations or corrupt implementations, as you
might expect).

FWIW I'm a former lawyer (best kind) and I don't defend legal
monopolies or co-optation by the law of terms like NN and mis-defining
them in legislation to confuse and monkeywrench the whole thing, by
accident or intention....   At the same time, it borders on or is
foolhardy to ignore lawyers when thinking or acting about law, just as
in ignoring accountants about accounting or developers and programmers
about the internet.  As applied to the internet, both lawyers and
developers/programmers and users and others all have a closeup view of
some patch of skin on the internet elephant. All are therefore needed,
and no sense debating about who has the rear end patch of the
elephant.

Every profession thinks itself the center of the universe:  Chemists
say its all atoms, biologists say its all DNA, engineers think nothing
exists in civilization without them, lawyers provide the frameworks
for every contract the engineers signed and possible rights to achieve
in the first place, physicians think we'd all be dead without their
help, and finally psychiatrists say "it's all in our head and how we
look at it."  This is an attempt at rephrasing a joke I heard, but it
points to both humor and that we all have a patch on the elephant of
human nature.

I've pasted in that brief exchange about the acid test for freedom
below.  As long as we retain nonviolent methods of "kicking the bums
out" and it's one person one vote and no adults are disfranchised,
then that to me is what I'm thinking of when I say "democracy" and the
corruptions of democracy are no different (to me) in general nature
than someone committing a crime and claiming the Pope ordered him to
do it via his radio.

Like you said, don't interpret your comments as opposition, and so I
don't.  You probably know that this way I will think about them longer
than if that were not the case!  ;)

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1