[governance] Ism or not Ism ?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 17 22:26:21 EDT 2010

Avri

On Wednesday 18 August 2010 02:55 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> in my very personal opinion.
>
> a.
>
> (yes, my role in the IGF may prejudice my outlook and commitment to the model.
> but i am sure i would not have the role i do if i was not a true believer)

True believer in MSism as a policy discussing model or a policy making
model ! :)

And if the IGF is ever going to be able to move anyway closer to policy
making, in fact even to meaningfully input into global IG policy making,
how and when ??   I have seen any effort to improve IGF's meaningful
role in global IG policy making blocked vehemently, mostly by those who
otherwise call themselves adherent supporters of MSism
(multistakeholderism) and of the IGF  (the latest was a very strong
blocking of the proposal that IGF gives out 'messages' on key issues as
the EuroDIG does).

In fact, some of those who are considered antagonist to MSism - like
developing country governments, are the ones who have, and still are,
advocating, some more clear and meaningful outcomes from the MS forum of
the IGF.

Shedding of any light on this paradox will be highly appreciated.

That could help us in deciding whether MSism is a model for making (or
helping make) policy, or of obstructing progressive policy making
possibilities.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org