[governance] OC meetings in Geneva May 10 and 11 IGC statement?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 17:01:33 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Developing countries are slow to realize the importance of MAG and the
> IGF as an aid to their Internet policy making efforts

?? If this is the case, why are the majority of IGF participants from
developing regions?

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/87-programme/484-igf-sharm-el-sheikh-attendance-statistics

but wasn't this
> also a much heard mission to build the capacity of
> countries/developing countries on IG?

I never heard this. One builds the capacity of individuals, not nation states.

> I've been visiting both sides of the Internet now, the ICANN and the
> IGF. Guess what, IGF is the last thing many want to be fulfilling the
> mandate of giving advise, recommendations, interacting with other
> institutions on Internet issues

Do you have any evidence of this?

- guess who does want to stay in and
> play this role?

I assume you are referring to the Internet technical community here?
If what you are speculating is true, why would they continue to
support the IGF financially?

and to tell you the truth, I continue to see that the
> Internet is really affected by a couple of big pockets and misguidance
> of governance in various roles and the smaller nations being kept away
> from the real issues.

Can you name the pockets, describe the misguidance and be more
specific about which smaller nations are kept away from which issues?

> As Parminder points it out clearly, who's role would it be to guide
> the developing countries. Unless our MAG members have any other
> personal interests, I think we would all agree to the point's
> Parminder made.

not me.

 We should have a strong stance with a statement here
> that should cover:
>
> 1. IGC's say on the continuation of the MAG
> 2. Improvement in terms of representation - more members on the MAG
> from developing countries - especially governments

I've just counted.  there are ~50% OF MAG members from developing
countries.  What percentage would you consider fair?

Why on earth would the CS IGC call for greater governmental
representation on the MAG?  We should be calling for more CS types,
no?

--
Cheers,

McTim