[governance] Clinton Admits: "Free" Trade is Harmful to 3rd

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 6 02:53:27 EDT 2010

>BTW, methinks that you might want to (in the interest of full
>disclosure) let us know if you are still under contract with the ITU
>in re: IP address distribution issues.

McTim

I am touched by your concern for conflict of interest issues :).

In fact very often I do think of the basis of legitimacy of civil
society and I find issues of transparency, responding to critiques and
other questions immediately and always, accountability, proof of action/
performance vis a vis ideals upheld etc as key in this regard. 'Conflict
of interest' issues are very important here, and very high standards of
disclosure must be maintained. As importantly, structural situations of
any such conflicts of interests should be avoided, and in any case
openly discussed, and responded to.

However, I do find it strange and incongruous that whenever we have
tried to discuss on this list conflict of interest issues implicating
people in important management positions of bodies  involved in Internet
policy-making seeking to represent civil society, you have repeatedly
taken up the defence such practises, and pooh poohed considerations of
conflict of interest. Can you please explain the double standards being
employed by you in this regard.

It is important to note that the issue you point out in this case is
just a possible one-off contract of research/ study etc (though I agree
with your demand for full disclosure) , while the practices you have
defended pertains to people actually occupying key permanent positions
in Internet policy making bodies, whereby they are organisationally bond
to represent the interests of their employing organisation.

In fact, I have often heard such research/ study contracts with ITU
mentioned in a hush-hush manner about a couple of civil society persons,
but when issues regarding various contractual and other - often rather
deep - relationships with ICANN plus are raised, they are immediately
brushed aside as non-issues - as acts of narrow minded people involved
in exclusionary practises (i have heard this term mentioned in this
regard - Spartan youth club kind of practises :) ).

Parminder

PS: I have mentioned this before but to do so again, I am regularly
funded by the UN to attend IGF meetings, and also sometimes CSTD and
other meetings. Our organisation does try to put up as much of our
financial details  out in the public as possible.