[governance] Results of charter amendment vote

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:12:46 EDT 2009

I'd be happy to draft a charter amendment if one were desired, but
without the stipulation that the principles of reason and construction
of language apply with force, literally anything I would draft, no
matter how clear, would be a waste of time and utterly ineffective in
binding the freedom of administrators (the point of such election
provisions).

Also, in this specific case, no further rules are needed in the
charter to resolve the question, because the 2/3 rule implies that the
2/3 must exist in a normal election day time period and not over a
week, month, or year.

If the above case is not sufficiently clear in its prohibition of
extensions for purposes or effect of meeting the 2/3 rule, then no
amount of drafting, no matter how precise, will be sufficient to tie
the hands of any person of even average intelligence who is committed
to getting around the words and told he's got the "leeway" to do so.
And I consider all here quite above average in intelligence.

So, on another subject, I'd be happy to draft an amendment, but on
this one it's hopeless.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1