[Gov 734] Re: Competition ? Re: [governance] is icann ...

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Sep 21 18:55:02 EDT 2009

Dear Francis,
I am not sure I follow everything here.

At 22:31 21/09/2009, Dr. Francis MUGUET wrote:
>Dear  Jeffrey, dear all
>>>And things in the RFC that have not yet been implemented and tried may
>>>or may not work.
>>Many don't initially and as such require and are updated accordingly.
>exactly,  the DNS soft need update to fully implement the
><http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5395>RFC 5395 ( old 2929Â  easier to remenber )
>and test if the update works, but this is a not breathtaking
>effort... there is no conceptual difficulty in programming,
>Â a fixed parameter becomes a variable as it should have been in the
>first place.

What do you mean by "DNS soft", there are many DNS programs. All of
them should support classes.

>>>and how many DNS implementations would need to be updated?
>>>
>>>as for
>>><http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm>http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm
>>>
>>>The problem here is that was just an assumption, but when people
>>>started looking at doing it, they started to find all the reasons why
>>>it would be very difficult.
>>
>>Wrong.  It's not difficult at all.  What is difficult is cooperation
>>of the legacy root structure to other and newer existing and future
>>root structures.
>exactly,
>the key point would be who is going to be the trusted authority
>to store the "cache"Â  currently InterNIC
><http://www.internic.net/zones/named.root>http://www.internic.net/zones/named.root
>for all the classes,  so that DNS servers software may be updated
>when  there are new classes created  and update  on  root
>servers of existing classes..

There are several manners to implement classes, and many reasons why.
Hoever, classes are tied to domain names as well as domain names to
classes. You cannot decide to create a new root file with .com in a
new class and not to be sure that the ICANN root will not support
that class too. But if you create a new root that uses a new group
(TLDs) and you get successful, ICANN cannot stop you to become a real
competition. There is nothing special in a root file, except the use
people make of it and the trust they have in it. Progressively
complexity, e-empowerment, and security issues will make that people
will only eventually use their own root.

Domain names, classes, groups and presentations are way to sort the
same names into different sub-spaces with or without the same ties.
So actually the root we currently use is a one dimmension matrix, but
actually the root matrix is number of TLD x number of classes and the
user space is still to be multiplied by the number of supported presentations.

This complexity is practically un-centralisable. Because by essence
everyone can decide of the picture he will actually use. The whole
system is only based upon the people acceptance of the ICANN, while
ICANN does not really care about what people really need.

jfc