[governance] Letter to Rod Beckstrom

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Fri Sep 18 17:22:59 EDT 2009

Le 18 sept. 09 à 21:22, Milton L Mueller a écrit :

> [...]

Unbundle, Milton, unbundle.. You're talking like a (de facto)
software monopoly:)
You may have political liberalism coexist with social justice, but
it's harder to achieve with full economical liberalism. And social
justice is the point you're missing here.

When you say (in another message in reply to Parminder):

>> Free markets rely on a public good, namely equal rights under the
>> law, lawful, constitutional governance, etc. joint recognition of
>> rights, etc.

This leaves no room for social justice. Social justice implies some
discrimination and cannot be realized with entirely free markets.
"Equal rights under the law" are not enough to realize equal
opportunities. In other words, when theoretically equal rights are
not equally enjoyed in practice, then the system necessarily favors
private interests over public interest.

I understand that by "de-nationalization" you don't mean it right
now, fully and unconditionally -- at least I hope so:)
In the same way, "inter"nationalization doesn't mean nation-states
only, without any counter power, and forever. What is needed is to
articulate (unbundled:) globalization in a system based on
"inter"nationalization. By articulating I mean without loosing at any
step neither the obligation to respect and enforce human rights, nor
the capacity to discriminate for social justice.

And who is bound by this obligation and who has the capacity to
discriminate, if not nation-states? Currently and for many years to
come. I'm not saying they all do, not even that they fully do. But I
fail to see any other entity showing this capacity.

The whole point with ICANN in this discussion is that it is NOT a
"global institution". The fact that it does make global decisions
impacting the whole world doesn't make it a global institution. Since
it is not a global institution (nor, or course, an inter-national
one), many of us are reluctant to enter this game deprived of sound
rules. Because if you enter it, you back it, whatever the genuineness
of your intentions and efforts.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org