[governance] FW: [IRP] Please provide your input on the impact of the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Sep 15 00:12:43 EDT 2009

On 15/09/2009, at 11:32 AM, Michael Gurstein wrote:

> Rather the significance of the IGF should be seen in terms of how it
> has directly and indirectly contributed to the creation of a basis
> for concensus, a language for discussion, a (suitable) cadre of
> informed people to carry on the discussion (it is here where I have
> my issues with the current IGF but I won't go into those further at
> this point), the provision of a venue for the undertaking of the
> discussions and so on and so on.  None of this is particularly
> "national" (in fact little of it is likely to be national which is
> the point I think of transnational agencies) and little of it is
> likely to be visible as concrete "impacts" (or even outputs--which
> is what is currently being discussed in the form of possible IGF
> "recommendations" etc.).

I mostly agree.  In my view the questions were too focussed on the
extent to which the IGF successfully facilitates discussion and
produces understanding on discrete policy issues such as freedom of
expression, access to knowledge, etc, and omits to consider higher-
level meta-discussion of Internet governance arrangements.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM
Project Coordinator

Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM
7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg
TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
Mob: +60 12 282 5895
Fax: +60 3 7726 8599
www.consumersinternational.org

Consumers International (CI) is the only independent global
campaigning voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in
115 countries, we are building a powerful international consumer
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere. For more
information, visit www.consumersinternational.org.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org