[governance] Open Source Voting Software Concept Released

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:20:11 EDT 2009

OK, I can stipulate open source allows one to copy code and then add
to it.  But the only operations allowable in elections are specified
by law, either the laws of democracy or the laws of simple arithmetic,
and anything beyond that is either unauthorized or simply fraudulent.

Moreover, no matter whether open or closed source is used only experts
in computers can possibly know what's going on with them (but even
they will not, at least in USA, truly know what's going on IN TIME for
the statute of limitations for elections. THe Dept of Justice suggests
at least 6 months to fully investigate and make a charging decision on
a computerized election crime).  ALl such elitist or expert systems
are inherently undemocratic.  That's why in March 2009 the German
Constitutional Court, ironically using and interpreting a USA-imposed
(together with other Allied powers) constitution's requirement of
"public elections" decided quite sensibly that if the average member
of the public can't understand each essential step of an election from
casting to counting and tabulating, then it simply isn't a "public"
election, and therefore not a constitutional election.  Germany
reverted to hand counted paper ballots for both the June 2009 and
September 2009 Bundestag and EU elections, and the principles the
court laid down make it possible e-voting might be tried again, but
impossible, in my opinion, that any court in good faith applying the
high court's ruling would ever uphold computer voting again.  Full
transparency at every essential step, no expert knowledge may be
required, and no substitution of government "testing" or auditing for
any of the required transparency are the three key principles,
especially the last.

If one thinks about it, though the government is a ready source of
funding for testing, it is absurd for any entity or person to audit
themselves, investigate themselves or blow the whistle on themselves,
and similarly absurd for any entity including government to select
their own auditors, investigators and whistleblowers.   Sure, this is
done from time to time but in the most important of all possible
situations - elections - and in the most important times -- when we
need to kick out criminal incumbents for example -- we simply can't be
committed to computers and government-paid investigators unless we are
of a democracy-suicidal frame of mind.

So, all of your thinking is RIGHT on the "money" -- except for one
little but very important thing -- elections are so terribly unique.

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box #1
Ishpeming, MI  49849
lehto.paul at gmail.com