[governance] What happened with the hubs?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Nov 25 04:53:26 EST 2009

In message <1259135395.3296.379.camel at anriette-laptop>, at 09:49:55 on
Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> writes
>At one of the workshops I participated in, the 'Development Agenda'
>workshop on the 17th organised by Bill Drake, remote participation
>worked extremely well.
>
>This must in large part have to do with Derrick Cogburn's excellent
>handling of the process, as well as Bill's sensitivity to the remote
>participants, and the fact that it was a three hour workshop which meant
>there was sufficient time to include the remote participants.

Maybe that's the answer - bringing the audience more positively into the
picture. When I was on a panel, there was someone monitoring the remote
participation, and periodically asking if anyone had any comments, but
none were forthcoming. But that was a room without video - and it was
never fully clear to me how many of the non-video rooms had an
audio-cast.

>I also found it helpful as a panellist to have the remote participation
>(Eluminate) interface open on my laptop which enabled me to interact
>with the remote participants directly.

Is that the same application that was running the webcast? (Which had a
note on it asking on-site people not to use it because of bandwidth
issues)? Maybe part of the panel preparations should be giving at least
the chair/moderator a laptop which is pre-registered with the relevant
room.

>Personally I feel that while there is still a long way to go, remote
>participation was much more effective this year than in the previous
>IGFs.

It was potentially more effective than emailing the secretariat with
questions, I agree. Meanwhile I was quite busy on Skype and Twitter,
alongside email and a private Jabber room; sometimes there's a limit to
the number of channels one person can have open (yes, including
listening to the people in the room).

Roland.

--
Roland Perry