[governance] IGF review

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Mon May 25 19:11:51 EDT 2009

Dear friend McTim, all

In my opinion, the African CS that's trying to get involved in the
international IG debate, is also involved in IG initiatives on the
continent. I'm not sure saying the contrary can be fully illustrated. I
agree more African CS stakeholders should be involved in Af*'s works.
Maybe Af*s should also make further progress towards inclusion
of/dialogue with more broad/non technical African CS stakeholders? What
is being done can be improved. You also have a lot of CS people involved
for example in local ISOC chapters. (I don't know if African ISOCs
are/can also be called Af*s). I think collaboration between stakeholders
in Africa comes naturally in fact : you may wish to read this working
paper I wrote and that was published in a doc by UNECA
http://www.uneca.org/istd/documents/AfrCSOs_Speak.pdf (notably page 58)
- not focused on IG though and in French. But we need to strengthen that
collaboration between stakeholders on the continent. In particular the
technical and business community need to support the other CS with
regards to better mastering technical ICT/IG issues. This question is a
bit discussed in this document that Mawaki Chango wrote "WSIS and Then?
What Prospects and Roles for African Stakeholders in The Subsequent
Internet Governance Processes?" that we have published in this working
document
http://www.cipaco.org/ancienne_versions/spip_v191/sources/OpeningthedebateonIGFinAfrica.pdf
(see page 66/67 in particular)) - I'm mainly talking here as for West
africa which I know best, but I guess the situation is more or less the
same elsewhere.

Another key problem is that the African CS doesn't benefit from the
inputs of the African academia. If for example you watch this list,
you'll see that "best" or most prolific contributors are people from the
academia or with strong university background. In Africa we are far from
this situation. Improving the involvement of the academia will also
improve the involvement of African stakeholders and CS in policy making
in general, at local, national and international levels.

My two cents..

Ken L

     governance at lists.cpsr.org