[governance] Upcoming OC meeting in Geneva May 13: IGC agenda?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri May 8 08:06:02 EDT 2009

McTim wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
>>
>> McTim wrote:

> I agree with this, but fail to see what you prefer if you don't want
> unilateral oversight,
> multilateral oversight or no "external oversight".

I find this conversation somewhat confusing. I thought I said that
external oversight is necessary?

> McTim:
>>> Won't CS have the most oversight over ICANN by electing as many CS
>>> reps on the ICANN BoD as is possible?  That's the model I prefer!
>
> Jeanette
>> No, I think that any organization with regulatory authority needs external
>> oversight.
>
> Does the ITU have external oversight?

The ITU respects national sovereignty (and diversity). The ITU makes
recommendations. ITU standard setting reflects the traditional national
based telecommunication model. This doesn't work for the Internet.
Besides, the ITU structure isn't exactly a model for multi-stakeholder
participation, is it?

> Does the UN?

I was talking about regulators.

> My experience in Internet resource policy making in the RIR
> communities suggests that internal oversight, by members of the
> community is sufficient.  That's the model that I seek post JPA.

I wouldn't compare RIRs and ICANN. The structure isn't quite the same.
Put more generally, I am convinced that in the long run we need on the
transnational level equivalents to the democratic institutions we have
on the national level. Check and balance mechanisms are an important
element of these democratic institutions.

jeanette
     governance at lists.cpsr.org