[governance] 'Internationalisation workshop'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Mar 24 12:40:18 EDT 2009

Hi All

Since the theme of 'internationalisation of IG' (loosely put) seem to
have received early attention in MAG meetings, I suggest we propose one
workshop on this subject.
What about 'Democratic internationalization of IG - Exploring various
institutional options'

The term 'democratic' before internationalisation brings in civil
society concerns regarding possible use of this term for a simple
statist takeover of global IG processes.

WGIG report explore some institutional options for such
internationalisation. Since WSIS documents have to be relatively
definitive  on such things , these options are not mentioned there, but
I think the WSIS's IG related follow up processes are precisely to take
such discussions/ possibilities forward.

There is increasing pressure to move forward on the
'internationalisation' issue and it best if civil society takes lead in
exploring/ proposing some options. In doing so it will help IGF to move
forward in its principal mandate - that of helping (and if needed
nudging forward) global Internet policy processes, which includes new
institutional  forms, as and when needed.

There is going to be  a main session on this theme - our workshop can
connect to it.

If an early workshop proposal is put by the IGC on the table I expect
some governmental actors to get also interested.

parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org