[governance] Re: IGF Review Statement for Consensus

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Jun 8 19:02:23 EDT 2009

On 8-Jun-09, at 7:23 AM, Ginger Paque wrote:

>>> I ask that those who would like to include other points please
>>> post text for discussion and inclusion.

I'm repeating myself, (and I do know I should let the silence of
response on this list speak for itself), but I had already
contributed another point about the essential content of dialogue on
June 5th as follows:

> The need to continue discussion that evolves and deepens
> understanding of basic assumptions concerning Internet Governance,
> particularly the “Internet model” of Internet Governance.
>
> Given the value of the Internet in sustaining connection,
> integration and interdependencies in the conduct of human affairs,
> we believe that the discussion must eventually move beyond the WGIG
> definition of Internet governance to something more open.  Rather
> than a matter negotiated among governments, the private sector and
> civil society, “in their respective roles,”  if roles and
> identities are agreed to be self-determined then the definition
> must become: "The development and application by ANYONE of shared
> principles, norms, rules, decision-making procedures, and
> programmes that shape the evolution and use of the Internet."

That's my way of flagging that civil society "in it's role" has a
responsibility to advocate for the Internet's basic assumptions and
principles as a fundamentally different view of the nature of
governance.  Else what's a civil society for?  We must not let others
define our role.  The Internet is "open" because the rules about
changing its rules are open.  One reason, perhaps the main reason,
why IGF must continue to exist and to evolve is because the
implications of those issues of "narrow and broad Internet
Governance" for governance are only beginning to be understood by
governments.  Capacity of governments to use the Internet for
development will be improved by a deeper understanding of what the
Internet's existence signifies. And, if some governments serve notice
of their intention to draw a hard line in attempting to contain those
implications, then responsible global citizenship requires a clear
statement of intentions to speak to what will be lost.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org