[governance] JPA - final draft for comments

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Jun 4 04:24:50 EDT 2009

Parminder wrote:

> Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>> Parminder,
>>
>> sorry, I meant to reply to the first of your two emails, particularly to:
>>
>> "though there isn't an absolute consensus, the predominant opinion is
>> in favor of (immediate) ending the JPA" (I added 'immediate' to
>> Shiva's language)
>>
>> represents the exchanges on this list much better.
>>
>> I got the impression that you want to polarize instead of advancing
>> consensus. If I am wrong here, I apologize.
>>
>> In more general terms, we are moving in uncharted water here as
>> Wolfgang likes to put it. None of can know for sure what the right
>> strategy is under such circumstances. While we have similar goals, we
>> are all guessing how to best get there. I hope that we take each other
>> seriously so that we can respect when and where we come to different
>> conclusions.
>>
>> jeanette
>>
> Jeanette, thanks for clarifying.
>
> I thought your reservations on ending the JPA was only about the vacuum
> it creates,

That is correct, yes.

and therefore I proposed a seperate line to take care of
> that consideration. In fact I heard no one on the list object to ending
> of JPA other than on the grounds of this 'technical aspect'.

I am not sure why you categorize this as a 'technical aspect'. As I said
at an earlier state in this debate, I don't think it is wise to
privatize a task and then try afterwards to build a regulatory or
accountability frame around it. We want to get rid of unilateral control
and we want to replace it by something more international - some of us
think of an intergovernmental framework, others prefer a
multistakeholder arrangement. For me, this looks like an eminently
political point, not a technical one.

However
> this does not come out clearly in the statement. So I thought it is best
> to make it clear. I  may be wrong though on your reasons for seeking
> extension of JPA, in which case I would like to hear about them.
>
> As for 'no one knowing what the best way forward is' - the crucial
> difference between political arena and say academic etc arenas is that
> at crucial times one has to speak up - and paralysis of views and/or
> action can be even more dangerous.

But we are striving towards a consensus position that, in my view,
should take into account that different positions may reflect the
openness of the situation (instead of merely ideological differences).

jeanette

  (Having different views is a

     governance at lists.cpsr.org