[governance] Q4 MAG - Request for a MAG member volunteer to update Q4

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 07:34:24 EDT 2009

As Ian pointed out, the text in Q4 is just copy/pasted from IGC's
previous statement. Could one of our MAG members please update this
section? Perhaps we should also add something about the Open
Consultations, which have allowed input from all groups...

I would greatly appreciate someone answering to confirm they will do this.

Thanks, Ginger

4. How effective are IGF processes in addressing the tasks set out for
it, including the functioning of the Multistakeholder Advisory Group
(MAG), Secretariat and open consultations?

At the outset of this statement on renewal and restructuring of the
Multi-stakeholder Advisory Group, the Civil Society IG Caucus would like
to appeal to all stakeholders that we should all use the full term
"multi-stakeholder advisory group" or MAG, at least for official
purposes, because multi-stakeholderism is the most important aspect of
the IGF.

MAG is the driving seat of the IGF, and restructuring MAG is basic to
making IGF more effective and productive. We very much appreciate the
new measures of transparency taken with respect to MAG's working. We are
of the view that MAG should work through two e-lists - one open and the
other closed. Since MAG discusses issues of public importance, normally
discussions should be open to public scrutiny. However we do understand
that there can be some circumstances that require closed discussions.
All discussions taken to the closed list should be listed, and summaries
of them provided, as appropriate. By the same rule, transcripts should
be provided for all face-to-face meetings of the MAG, unless some topics
are expressly chosen to be dealt in a closed manner, in which case such
topics should be listed, and summary of discussions provided, as
appropriate.

*Membership of the MAG*

• The MAG should be large enough so that its members bring the required
balance of stakeholder interests, diversity and experience, but not so
large as to cause the group to be ineffective. In the present
circumstances, we think that 40 is a good number for MAG members. One
third of MAG members should be rotated every year.
• In the interest of transparency and understanding the responsibilities
of MAG members, when making appointments to the MAG we request the
Secretary General to explain which interested group that person is
associated with. The rules for membership of the MAG should be clearly
established, and made open along with due justifications.
• Civil society has been under represented in the multi-stakeholder
advisory groups appointed in 2006 and 2007, this anomaly should be
corrected in this round of rotation and a fair balance of members among
all stakeholders assured. Fair civil society representation is necessary
to ensure legitimacy for this new experiment in global governance.
• We agree that the organizations having an important role in Internet
administration and the development of Internet-related technical
standards should
continue to be represented in the MAG. However, their representation
should not be at the expense of civil society participation.
• Stakeholder representatives should be chosen based on appropriate
processes of self-selection by stakeholder groups. We do appreciate that
it is difficult to recognize any one stakeholder entity, or even a given
set of them, as completely representing the whole of that particular
stakeholder group. This complicates the process of selection, especially
in the case of civil society and business sectors, and provides scope
for the final selecting authority exercising a degree of judgment. This,
however, should be done in a completely transparent manner. Deviations
from the self-selection processes of stakeholder groups should be kept
to the minimum.
• When recommending members of the MAG all stakeholders should ensure
diversity in terms of gender, geography, and, where applicable, special
interest groups.

*Role and Structure of the MAG*

With the experience of two years of the IGF, it is also the right time
to revisit the role and the structure of the MAG. To start with, it will
be useful to list out the functions that MAG is expected to perform.
• One function is of course to make all necessary arrangements for the
annual IGF meetings. We must reviews MAG's experience with carrying out
this function. What more needs to be done by MAG to further improve the
effectiveness of the IGF? We are of the opinion that MAG must review its
decision making processes to make them more effective. These are
especially important if IGF is to evolve into something more than what
it is today, to enable it to fulfill all aspects of its mandate.
• It will be very useful for the MAG to work through working groups
(WGs). These WGs should prepare for each main session and the set of
workshops connected to this main session. WGs can also be used for
managing internal tasks of the MAG more effectively.
• We also seek greater clarity at this point about whether the MAG has
any substantive identity other than advising the UN Secretary General.
For instance, to carry out some part of the mandate which requires
'interfacing', 'advising', identifying issues', 'giving recommendations'
etc, MAG, in some form or the other, needs to be able to represent the
IGF. It looks highly impractical that these tasks can cohere in the UN
Secretary General.
• MAG should prepare an annual report for the IGF. This report should
mention IGF activities and performance for the year against relevant
parts of the Tunis Agenda which lays out its mandate, and also outline
plans for the year ahead. We
suggest that this report, once adopted by the Secretary General, would
also satisfy the requirements of paragraph 75 of the Tunis Agenda and
prepare for discussion about the desirability of continuing the Forum
beyond 2010.
• IGF should actively encourage regional and national level IGFs, which
should be truly multi-stakeholder. A specific plan should be drawn out
for this purpose, possibly using a MAG working group. Such a need is
also expressed in the paragraph 80 of Tunis Agenda.
Funding of IGF, and Issues of Participation
The United Nations needs to recognise that the IGF is the outcome of a
UN process and should ensure that it has the resources it needs to
fulfill its mandate as defined at the Tunis Summit in 2005. We express
our great respect and appreciation for the work of the IGF Secretariat.
While severely under-funded it has still been responsible for many of
the IGF's successes. The Secretariat should be provided with resources
needed to perform its role effectively.
In addition, a fund should be established to support the participation
of people from developing and least developed countries in the IGF
annual meetings and the IGF preparatory consultations.

*Special Advisors and Chair*

The need for Special Advisors, their role in the MAG, and criteria for
their selection should be clarified. Considerations of diversity, as
mentioned above in case of MAG members, must also be kept in mind for
the selection of Special Advisors. The number of Special Advisors should
be kept within a reasonable limit.
We are of the opinion that in keeping with the multi-stakeholder nature
of the MAG, there should only be one chair, nominated by the UN
Secretary General. The host country should be able to nominate a deputy
chair, an arrangement that would be helpful regarding logistical issues
for the annul IGF meetings. In any case, we will like to understand the
division of work and responsibility between the two chairs in the
present arrangement? It may be too late to move over to the suggested
new arrangement of one chair, plus a host country deputy chair, for the
Hyderabad meeting, especially if the Indian government representative
has already taken over as the co-chair, but we can take a decision now
about the post-Hyderabad phase.
And lastly, the IG Caucus supports the continuation of the present
Chair, Nitin Desai, as the Chair of the MAG. We recognize and commend
the role that he has played in guiding the MAG and the IGF through
difficult formative times

     governance at lists.cpsr.org