[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jul 11 16:34:09 EDT 2009

In message <4A58E901.5AC1E9DE at ix.netcom.com>, at 12:33:21 on Sat, 11 Jul
2009, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> writes

>Privacy protection is not about hiding, it is about protecting from
>abuse.

I don't call legitimate reasons to want to identify who I'm doing
business with an "abuse".

>The ALAC is not about openess and transparency.  As such it in it's
>current form cannot reasonably represent users.

So you think the ALAC's actions are adversely affecting average users?
Can you give some examples.

>> What kinds of harm do you think they are conspiring to inflict upon the
>> ordinary user - this is exactly the question I think George was asking
>> so I'm very interested in your answer.
>
>There are not ordinary users per se.

Who are "they"?

>Again there are no "Average Internet users".

Of course there are. All those people sat at home on the end of cable
modems, DSL and even dial-up.

> All users, registrants or non-registrants have a reasonable
>expectation that wherever some potential registrant buys their Domain
>Name, that that Registrar is operating in an honest and above board
>manner.  Such has proven too many times to not be the case.  Ergo, ALL
>users are damaged accordingly.

How does it damage the average user, if a registrant suffers a problem
with their registry? (Apart from those time the registry accepts
incorrect WHOIS information).

>> In a world of Web2.0, I can't see an easy way for people using Google's
>> platform to influence the tld that Google uses.
>
>WEB2.0 is DOA at present, and unlikely to be revived despite the
>rhetoric to the contrary.

Forget the web2.0 aspects then, what about people using the web1.0 bits
of Google?

>Why should there be a restriction of new TLD's?

But you seem to want better assurance that "Registrars [are] operating
in an honest and above board manner.  Such has proven too many times to
not be the case." Would that mysteriously fix itself if anyone could run
a tld registry?

>>So when a Japanese site is only
>> available at a Japanese url, that prevents those of us without a
>> Japanese keyboard from accessing it. But as I don't speak Japanese, I'm
>> somewhat in their hands already if I want to access the site (ie they
>> have to provide an English version too).
>
>They?  Who is they exactly?  Perhaps you mean the Japanese IDN
>domain holder?

Yes, that's "them".

> If so, why should they be required to provide a english version.

I didn't say they should. But if they want to appeal to an audience of
non-Japanese speakers such as myself, it is necessary. Or they can
ignore me. I don't care.

>No 3 cents is not huge.  $60m is.

Pretty small, really, for such a global enterprise.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org