[governance] How do ICANN's actions hurt the average Internet

kpeters at tldainc.org kpeters at tldainc.org
Tue Jul 7 14:14:11 EDT 2009

       First of all, ANY honest question is the right question to ask...
       From my perspective, the biggest problems naturally lie in the
handling of top-level domains and affect first those who would run
them and secondly those who would register under them.
       ICANN's primary interest in the decision of what TLDs to carry
and who should manage them appears to be who provides the best
advantage to ICANN, not who would benefit from the effective operation
of a TLD. As proof of this, look a the meeting where ICANN decided
against honoring Atlantic Root Network, Inc.'s .BIZ that was already
profitably operational outside of ICANN and its "sale" to the group
who had paid lots of ICANN fees and gone through all their financial
hoops and would, of course collect fees for ICANN from every domain
registration. Several thousand people with .BIZ domains in the other
roots were forced to move over to the new company and forfeit their
placement and hosting and so forth under the previous system, not to
mention it then costing more with the new people, all on ICANN's whim.
      Then, on the same day, they denied one of our members .WEB after
he actually pulled out of the other roots and jumped through all the
hoops and paid all the fees ICANN asked. The VERY weak excuse for this
second decision, at that time, was that Chris Ambler's .WEB had rivals
in other roots and ICANN did not want to pick one over the other. To
this day, there is no .WEB, but there has never been any payment for
lost rights and revenue to Atlantic Root Network for the clear theft
of .BIZ. It leaves one to wonder if the .com people who pay almost all
of ICANN expenses might have been justifiably afraid of a .WEB and
lobbied against it behind closed doors. I can not prove that, but
neither can I see any consistant logic in taking .BIZ from one group
for another, but denying .WEB to Chris on the grounds another group
was claiming it, also outside of ICANN.
     They lost me forever that day!!!
-Karl E. Peters
kpeters at tldainc.org