[governance] IGC

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:56:20 EST 2009

Hi everyone:

I am not sure if this was discussed/raised/explored/shot down before,
because of the current IGC discussion list format, but from my own
experiences, here are some thoughts to move the IGC forward and attract a
wider and deeper cross-section of "civil society" (see the excellent and
concise LSE definition of this dilemma at
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/CCS/introduction/what_is_civil_society.htm
):

1. Evolve the dialog away from the dated mailing/discussion list format
towards a more transparent and open Social Networking & Collaboration
platform - I recommend that Marc Andreessen's and Giani Bianchini's
brilliant Ning technology be used as opposed to the somewhat restricted
Facebook, Orkut, and the like. Establishment of appropriate IGC presences on
Twitter, Scribd and YouTube will also be useful. Utilization of emerging
solutions such as Google Wave should be explored. Enterprise solutions such
as Social Text, Lotus Connections are also available if a more robust
solution is desirable.

2. Move the IGC into the mainstream and raise its profile through a physical
"re-launch" or "event". This event could consist of the presentation of a
series of Civil society position papers as alluded to by Katitza. A timely
slot for this would perhaps be immediately pre-IGF 2010, or for more
diffused but consistent impact, pre-ICANN, iNET and IETF 2010
meetings/conferences.

3. Develop a regular meeting or series of meetings where the IGC membership
can interact and engage in strategic planning. The technology deployed if
(1) is accepted will make this extraordinarily simple - time zone
considerations aside.

4. Develop a Strategic Plan, Operating Budget and solicit appropriate
financial support from its membership - membership growth beyond the
existing should be guaranteed by (1) and (2). The Wikipedia donation model
is instructive. I am also certain that the IGF Secretariat will provide
support if a Strategic Plan, Budget and Operational Plan for 2010-2011 were
presented.

Mobilize. Grow. Prosper.