[governance] Role of CSTD in the IGF review process.

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 10:20:42 EDT 2009

Being an active participant of the UNCSTD this year in Geneva, I would
like to share that the CSTD members were not out of touch of the IG
issues and the draft resolutions that were prepared and then approved
from the committee's members. This committee was also chaired by a
member who is an active member of the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory
Group MAG respectively and the deliberations made the members of the
IGC were reflected in Markus's report that he read out and presented
to the CSTD from the IGC Secretariat respectively.

How governments nominate their members to represent their countries
(Foreign Ministers or ICT Ministers) is solely upon member state
countries of the UN and I believe that IGF or the ECOSOC has no
influence over that and I think they shouldn't either.

Yes you can communicate with your country's government and check into
the issue but as far as other countries are concerned would be beyond
the reach of the afore mentioned bodies.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Sivasubramanian
Muthusamy<isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was at the European Summer School of Internet Governance at Meissen
> recently and happened to have an informal conversation with one of the
> faculty members who happens to be an individual who values the IGF as much
> as we all do.
>
> Most of us in this list have contributed to a positive review of the IGF and
> almost all of us believe that the IGF should continue. We have given our
> inputs, but the process of decision making requires inputs from the CSTD of
> ECOSOC.
>
> CSTD  ( http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Page.asp?intItemID=4239&lang=1 ) has
> to make a recommendation to the UN to renew the mandate for the IGF. So, in
> a sense this is an important and crucial step in the review process.
>
> The CSTD is a body with representatives named by the foreign ministries of
> the governments. Tradionally IGF participation is from the ICT ministries of
> most governments. So, what is closely followed by the ICT ministries might
> only have been very broadly followed by the Foreign / External affairs
> ministries.
>
> What needs to be done is to impress upon the foreign minsties / CSTD
> nominees of our Governments that the mandate for IGF needs to be renewed.
> Some of the participants of this list are well connected. Would it be
> possible to think of reaching out to the CSTD delegations through the
> Foreign Ministries with help from the ICT Ministries?
>
> This is a bit of a diplomatic exercise that is necessary.
>
> Sivasubramanian Muthusamy.
> India.
> Blog: http://isocmadras.blogspot.com
> facebook: http://is.gd/x8Sh