[governance] Proposed text for a sign-on or IGC statement re:

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Apr 5 07:02:37 EDT 2009

Milton

>Political sovereignty for the Internet community is precisely what we
seek. It should, of course, be one in which the new global
institution(s) are accountable to a broad >segment of Internet society.
But this is the fundamental underlying drama of ICANN and its status vis
a vis U.S. government and other states.

I do not understand the meaning of 'internet community' in this context
and therefore cannot appreciate what you mean by political sovereignty
for it. For us, all people of the world have legitimate and equal
political interest in all key Internet matters. Can you please explain
why would you not just say 'global community' instead. Any particular
reason? Especially when we both agreed that we are speaking here of not
some narrow technical policy issues, but important political matters,
for instance FoE and 'access to knowledge'.

The political use of the term 'internet community', in the manner I have
seen it mostly used now-a-days, has become one part of a dangerous
attempt to create an artificially new global  reality,  with a new basis
for constructing its constituents, *for the purpose of engineering* some
radical global political redetermination that fly in the face of long
revered precepts of democracy, public interest, representation, social
justice and equity. In such attempts at global political redetermination
lie the principle congruity of neoliberal and the dominant information
society discourses.

>Seems we have a choice of three models. 1) Work in the general framework
of private sector, civil society based governance; 2) take an ITU/WIPO,
 >pure-intergovernmental approach; 3) take what might be called a
competing hegemon approach, in which US contends with EU, China, Russia,
Brazil and India for >dominance, and use IGOs (and ICANN) as tools when
convenient and act unilaterally when not. The latter two options are
state-directed but the third relies more on great >power deals than
established institutional frameworks.
>I'll take 1).

We are strongly opposed to any private (meaning business, using standard
UN terminology) sector leadership for any global governance model. I
made this clear in my previous email. We see important CS role in new
global governance models, but there is lot to be done and learnt in this
area, and it is really not easy to structure CS participation  in any
body with strong policy roles. As mentioned in my email, we very much
encourage and participate in any innovations in this area (ex, IGF). In
fact, WGIG did propose alternative global Internet policy institutional
frameworks (see its models 1, 3 and 4), which  were worth  a  try, and
certainly worth full CS support.   Unfortunately, much of the CS in the
IG arena did not support these alternatives and struck to supporting
existing ICANNist model. That was our best chance, and it is still our
best chance. We need to work towards real internationalization of the IG
system, with innovative models that have high civil society
representation. Significantly, more we delay in supporting and pushing
for such new possibilities, the global environment for acceptability of
anything other than a simple UN kind inter-governmental model may only
keep  becoming worse.

To sum our position, we prefer to work with democratically
representative bodies, using CS presence for 'deepening democracy' at
the global level, rather than acquiesce to corporate leadership of
global governance. (Milton, since I understand you wont want corporates
to have leading political role with regard to domestic issue inside the
US, why have different standards and definitions of democracy for your
country and for the outside?)

We do realize that many governments are not themselves democratic
representatives of  the people of their countries, and in this context
we should work hard for strengthening the democratization of national as
well as global governance. The ruse of poor governance for privatizing
governance has been used for too long  by some global forces vis-a-vs
developing countries for us not to understand this ploy rather well. It
has been one of the main planks of the 'Washington consensus' policies.
Interestingly UK's Prime Minister declared  at the recent G 20 London
summit that the 'Washington consensus was over'. Lets use this
opportunity to move beyond its (more rabid) sister 'Californian
consensus' (the ICANN+ model) towards some real globally democratic
arrangements, rather than wait for a crisis, as the London Summit did.

Parminder