rights again Re: [governance] Inputs ...

Guru guru at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 4 00:03:54 EDT 2008

Milton,

the distinction you make between 'negative' and 'positive' rights based
on the 'need for funding and authority for its enforcement' is logically
flawed.

The right to FOE requires a strong state/police/army to protect
it.Without a functional army/police, many of the negative rights have no
meaning (would you like to live in Afghanistan or Sudan?). The largest
parts of government budgets in most countries is for defence/interior
ministries, which is a must for protecting 'negative' rights. All rights
have a cost for their being available... and even those of the right to
life and liberty are no exception.

btw, would like to know if you do accept the right to education :-)

Guru