[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Sep 1 00:28:16 EDT 2008

All

I agree with Ian's shortened version.

> A suggestion that is philosophic not stylistic is whether to
> capitalize 'internet'.  I think we should not.  The internet
> technology seems to me no longer a brand but rather absorbed into
> ordinary civil life and doesn't need the differentiation. (Sylvia)

Either way is fine. What you say is logical. But I also think that Internet
still represents a strong paradigm with significant if complicated meaning
of its own. In any case, since this is an input to the synthesis/ conference

Paper for IGF Hyderabad, our inputs will be absorbed into the main paper,
and a common style decided by the IGF secretariat will be used.

> I too prefer shorter interventions. (Sylvia)

As said, I agree with Ian's shortening. However we must remember that this
is not a spoken input, or even a stand alone written one. It is designed as
an input document into the IGF conference paper, and IGF editors will take
their own decision on what to put in from our document and where. It is good
to reason out one's arguments in some detail in this context, and give
sufficient text for possible use in the final document. The major limitation
to this however is the extent and length of a text that can be agreed to by
this list. We will work within that constraint.

Thanks

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org