[governance] workshops on rights based approach to the Internet

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 8 11:25:55 EST 2008

IGC in a recent input had proposed that 'rights and the Internet' remain a
key focus of the IGF.

Apart from the workshop "Internet for All - Exploring a Rights-based
Approach' -
(http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=66)
sponsored by the IGC, there are a few more workshops that looks at IG issues
form a rights angle.

Dynamic Coalition on Bill of Right's -
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=53>
Mainstreaming human rights in the work of the IGF
(http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=53 )

 <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=141>
Council of Europe's open forum -   "The human rights dimension of Internet"
(http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=141 )

UNESCO's  -
<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=133> Freedom
of Expression in cyberspace: Internet Filtering and Censorship
(http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=133 )

There is also the meeting of the Dynamic Coalition on Bill of Rights
mentioned in the official program.

We need to see how we can use these workshops and other possible strategies
to possibly built some kind of momentum for our effort to get 'right and the
Internet' as the overall theme for the next IGF. If we are to have any
chance of success we need to start mobilizing support now. We need to build
a solid constituency around this idea.

It may also be noteworthy that IGC's and DC on Bill of Right's (along with
some other organizations') call for making 'rights and the Internet' as the
overarching theme of the next IGF finds prominent mention in the Synthesis
paper for IGF Hyderabad , which is  a kind of official conference paper for
the meeting.

 (see
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/sec_papers_08/IGF.SynthesisPaper.Final.30.10.
2008.pdf )