Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do we

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Fri May 30 05:31:36 EDT 2008

Jeremy wrote
> Anyway, that's water under the bridge now but it's a symptom of the
> larger problem that suggestions to the Secretariat/MAG about remote
> participation are uniformly ignored, on the basis that "the Web site
> and webcasting are our business; you can do whatever else you like,
> but don't expect us to help you out by providing any information or
> linking to the end product" (that's not a quote, obviously).

Well, I confirm it's not a quote :-). I remember during the first IGF at
least there were a lot of interaction and some cooperation between you
and the Secretariat (according to Markus's mails to the MAG) and even
between you and the MAG; and Kieren and you contributed usefully to
alternative remote participation facilities.

Anyway, it's sure that remote participation should be improved and also
provided with a multilingual environment. But, another issue is that
remote participants hardy contribute (at least through facilities
provided by the Secretariat). For example very few contributions are
received through the email addresses that MAG members monitor during IGF
summits, though some of us promoted as needed the existence of that
easy-to-use facility. Most of the time you have about 2/3 short
comments/questions in French and a bit more in English (and I'm not sure
in other languages more messages/questions are received - I think this
does not help requesting more/alternative UN supported remote
participation facilities.

Ken L
     governance at lists.cpsr.org