Fwd: [governance] Mercenaries on the list

Jacques Berleur jberleur at info.fundp.ac.be
Sat May 24 17:46:04 EDT 2008

Friends,
Let me give an academic contribution to the definition of the civil society, by quoting:

1) the Centre for Civil Society (LSE, UL): "Civil society refers to the arena of uncœrced collective action
around shared interests, purposes and values. In theory, its institutional forms are distinct from those
of the state, family and market, though in practice, the boundaries between state, civil society, family
and market are often complex, blurred and negotiated. Civil society commonly embraces a diversity of
spaces, actors and institutional forms, varying in their degree of formality, autonomy and power. Civil
societies are often populated by organisations such as registered charities, development non-
governmental organisations, community groups, women's organisations, faith-based organisations,
professional associations, trade unions, self-help groups, social movements, business associations,
coalitions and advocacy groups." ([Civil Society, 2007], Centre for Civil Society, London School of
Economics, Report on Activities, July 2005 – August 2006, http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/CCS/
publications )

2) Some French contributions, inspired by Habermas (Jürgen Habermas. The Structural Transformation
of the Public Sphere: An Inquiry Into a Category of Bourgeois Society. Trans. Thomas Burger. The MIT
Press, 1989): (translation of the following quotations from the French are by me)

2a) "The civil society consists of these associations, organizations and movements which at the same
time welcome, condense and echo, by amplifying them in the public space, the resonance which the
social problems find in the spheres of the private life." ([Pirotte, 2007], Gautier Pirrotte, La notion de
société civile, La Découverte (Collection Repères), Paris, 2007, 122 p.) I don't like very much the
restriction to "social problems found in the spheres of the private life".

2b) "The civil society covers all the active networks in the political public space which do not depend
upon either the administrative and governmental system, or the business system." ([Weerts, 2004],
Laurence Weerts, Quatre modèles théoriques pour penser la société civile dans l’ordre juridique
international, Séminaire Société civile et démocratisation des organisations internationales, 28 et 29
mai 2004, à l’Université libre de Bruxelles, http://www.ulb.ac.be/droit/cdi/fichiers/
modeles_theoriques.pdf )

3) Others define the civil society as a "third way, between the political interests of the state and the
economic interests of business."
Definition 2b has my preference. Hope this may help. But I don't see how to derive the "mercenaries on
the list" from the definition!!!

Jacques Berleur
Professor Emeritus
Faculty of Informatics