Fwd: [governance] Mercenaries on the list

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Sat May 24 14:07:01 EDT 2008

How can ANYONE ask ANYONE to define civil society?

 If we need to ask ourselves that, than we as well give up. I thought
 it was clear when the summit was structured around and three-prong
 front: government, business and THE REST.

 1. Government ostensibly operates from a position of the "public
 interest" (not that they have a mandate for MOST of the things they do
 in the public interest, but they do them nonetheless (look at how many
 EU members prepare to rubber stamp the Lisbon Accord;
 2. Business I am sure is Economics 101, no need for me to define (ie:
 profits, profits, profits).
 3. Civil Society is like family and friends - you trust them you
 invite them over to your house, you actually want to spoil them
 BECAUSE one (grammatically, it shout have been "you", but it is not
 mine to reason who is or is not, as YOU so rightly pointed out) enjoys
 their company and knows that they feel like you do about people being
 keep from enjoying their rights to the full because someone else's
 rights seem to take precedence.
 4. Mercenaries

 But, Suresh, perhaps, we should ask YOU to define Civil Society,
 seeing that you seem to know it all, judging by the the number of
 topics you adjudge yourself to be an expert on and therefore qualified
 to comment on - basically anything on this list. Has anybody ever
 brought up the energy properties of dog poo? Do you have any opinion
 on that?

 And before anybody starts shouting "ad hominem" (sexist as it is), it
 is not and Suresh will acknowledge that he comment on EVERYTHING.

 Waiting to hear his views on the energy properties of dog poo.

 Best regards,

 Rui

  It is like asking a

 On 24/05/2008, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
 > Rui Correia wrote:
 >
 >  > that the people on this list are who they say they are? How do we know
 >  > that the list has not been infiltrated by whoever might it be that
 >  > works against the interests of civil society?
 >

 > 1. Define civ soc
 >
 >  2. What would you consider to be in its interest?
 >         2a. Milton / Parminder et al's position that the tech community can
 >  keep out
 >         2b. The positions I, Sadowsky, McTim etc have been advocating
 >         2c. Intermediate positions (Adam Peake, Ian Peter ..)

 Rui Correia
 Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
 2 Cutten St
 Horison
 Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
 South Africa