[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Mar 17 13:06:06 EDT 2008

> Why have a nomcomm at all, then?  Have the current MAG
> members, as well as
> any others that wish to stand, stand for election.

I agree, I might support an election over a Nomcom, but our charter
calls for these things to be done by Nomcom and we have no authority or
time to change it now. By the way, your implied critique of an election
-- that the electorate is ill-defined -- applies equally well, if not
more so, to a randomly selected Nomcom drawn from that very same
electorate and given powers to make decisions for the rest of us.

As for the wording, there is no "slip" but a fully consistent position:
if someone manages to fall off the recommended list I am assuming it
will be for a good reason; i.e., a consensus of the Nomcom that we would
prefer not to have them reappointed. OK, "thrown out" may seem like
strong language but it conforms to American usage, when politicians are
not re-elected we say they are "thrown out of office."

On the other hand, your attitude belies a much more problematic stance:
Are you suggesting that you believe as a matter of principle that all
existing MAG members must be supported, regardless of any evaluation of
their performance? Regardless of the value of involving new people? Or
is it just another knee-jerk "whatever Milton advocates I oppose"
reaction? I suspect people are getting tired of that, and I'd advise you
in the most friendly terms, for the sake of your own reputation, to try
to make more productive interventions.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org