[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 27 04:29:19 EDT 2008

Avri

Let me first mention the real issue involved here before we go into
arguments and counter arguments which I have no option but, because once
again a spanner has been thrown in a simple organizational process that all
organizations do...

This simple issue here is that - I don't understand that how can a group of
such global standing, importance, whatever can be held hostage to single
member's 'decision' that she will not say, 'I do subscribe to the charter'
come what may. I have not been able to hold elections for the last few
months mainly because of this one issue.

(I understand that you take it as some kind of an ideological position, but
there isnt much I can do about this. I think it is simple to say that you
agree to the charter because we know you do, but since I have to ask
everyone, I cant make an exception in your case.)

Ok, now to rationales and counter-rationales....

> The list discussed this before.

Yes, that's the problem. This has been discussed many many times. I have
posted the email I intended to send out to make  a members list a few times
now over the last few months, and every time it has, in my view, ended with
enough consensus that we will go ahead with this process I proposed. For
instance, the last time it got discussed, Adam, among others, clearly asked
me to send this email out (though I am not exactly sure what his posting in
the current discussion means, in that context)................

I think it is adequate, and within
> the charter to do what we have done before -
>
> - all IGC subscribers get access to the ballot
> - in submitting a ballot a voter must agree that they subscribe to the
> charter.

Avri, you know very well that this is not what was done the last time. This
only serves to confuse the members. And it cant be that you have forgotten
because we have discussed what was done last time a couple of times now on
this list.

There was no mention at all in the ballot of the charter. The text on the
ballot read -

"By voting you affirm that you consider yourself a Civil Society particpant
of the Internet Governance Caucus." "If you cannot so affirm, please do not
vote."

I cant see any mention of the charter here, or even of 'member'. And we have
agreed before that there is a difference between a 'participant' (as a list
participant) and a 'member' (with voting rights).  So will you please
explain how you say the above as per your email is "what we have done
before".

Not only this is not what we have done before, in our numerous discussions
you have never even ever agreed that " a voter must agree that they
subscribe to the > charter" which you now go to the extent to say that this
is what we have "done before".

 Your present email says what I have asked for all along and you had never
agreed - that ' a voter must agree that they subscribe to the > charter'.

So, now the only difference in what you say and what is being done is that
whether (1) we ask for 'that agreement to subscribe' in a single step along
with voting, or (2) first prepare a members list as per 'subscribing to the
charter condition' and then issue ballots to members (on the list for at
least 2 months).

There is not much difference between the two 'in principle', so I don't know
why you (and some others) are still arguing on what looks like 'principles'
issue.

It is fine for me to take the charter subscription statement in the same
step as voting. However for a couple of "house-keeping issues" I have
preferred to make a members list first and then send ballots along.... I
will give my reasons for this, but can others opposing this can give their
reason as well, while responding to my reasons...

(1) Members list is applicable for purposes other than voting as well, and
it is good to have a standing members list which we don't have at present...

(2) it is a bit confusing on a ballot list to say - "a voter must agree that
they subscribe" because what if the voters says nothing to this part and
just goes ahead and votes. On the other hnd, is response to a specific email
about subscribing to the charter and accepting membership the respondent
clearly knows what she is responding to.

(3) Some people do not vote in co-coordinators elections just because they
do not care to make a choice in this regard. Do they lose membership because
of that. Many who voted for the charter did not vote for the co-coordinators
elections only a few months later. Did they therefore lose membership? (I
have stated these issues umpteen times earlier). In any case nowhere was it
mentioned, the last time, that voting is compulsory to retain (obtain)
membership, right.

Can the coordinator in charge of the elections be allowed to make this
simple process choice to do a two step process especially now when there is
no 'principles' issues left since you agree that one should first agree that
she subscribes to the charter before voting... also especially since the
coordinator has taken this matter to the list at least 4 times now and is
convinced that there has been enough consensus to follow this process. But,
still, you may counter the above imperatives for following the two step
process that we have laid out. Also pl specifically mention what is gained
by doing it as a single  step process - which does involve assertion of
subscription to the charter - rather than a two step one, as I am doing...

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org