[governance] Re: Can Internet be Shaken up?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Wed Jun 25 09:47:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 03:27:05PM +0200,
 Nyangkwe Agien Aaron <nyangkweagien at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 178 lines which said:

> I read this over the BBC website

Do not forget that not all articles in the press are correct... The
french version is specially funny <http://www.lesechos.fr/info/comm/4744030.htm>

> Dr Paul Twomey, chief executive of Icann, told BBC News that the
> proposals would result in the biggest change to the way the internet
> worked in decades.

May be Twomey said so and may be the journalist invented it. Anyway,
it is ridiculous. Opening thousands of TLD will not shake the
Internet.

> "Like the United States in the 19th Century,

There are no Indians to slaughter and to rob, this time, which is a
progress.

> it is expected to be at least several thousand dollars.

And yet the article says that "an individual" can do it. I would be
glad to know such an individual, he could pay me a beer.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org