[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jun 3 15:41:29 EDT 2008

George
This borders on an unfair comment. Both cooperation AND confrontation
may be required, it depends on what happens. E.g., if governments or
business ignore civil society perspectives & try to trample rights or
exploit unrepresented interests, confrontation may be appropriate.
Likewise, although reasonable people will always look for a win-win, if
civil society makes unreasonable demands of business, it may conflict
rather than cooperate.

The point is, the whole notions of "cooperation" and "confrontation"
require differentiated parties. Civil society cannot "cooperate"
properly with business and government unless its participants are
reasonably representative of their sector (nonprofit) and looking out
for its interests.

Who decides what is "acceptable middle ground", and for whom is this
decided? Acceptable to whom? These are politically negotiated questions.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org