[governance] [process] the IGC charter

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Mon Jul 14 09:40:49 EDT 2008

Hi all

Just a note to follow up Bill's point - one of the reasons I don't
contribute so much to the list is because of the interference between
1) the discussion function and 2) the attempts to influence e.g. the
IGF process etc. The ability to debate issues is often overwhelmed by
the (perhaps necessary) procedural issues and administrivia of the IGF-
related processes. And the ability to formulate an effective,
organised intervention into intergovernmental processes is not really
aided by freewheeling debate where all of us pick out our own personal
points of interest to discuss.

So I would just like to register support for Bill's suggestion,
including that the details of the debate should occur after sorting
out the elections, but here I just want to let others on the list know
that there might be a range of opinions on this issue and that it
should be discussed. I actually think a version of this issue
underlies the process/charter debate happening now, and refactoring
that debate to the terms suggested by Bill might prevent this kind of
procedural debate reoccuring.

Cheers,

Danny

--