[governance] [process] the IGC charter

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Mon Jul 14 06:44:33 EDT 2008

Hi, I agree with what Bill recommends regarding the voting procedure,
which is:

So I'd follow the rules
 > for the election and afterwards try to see if those who've affirmed their
 > membership can't have a useful discussion of what they want the
caucus to be
 > and perhaps amend the charter if there's sufficient support for that.

However, I am not in favor of Bill's idea to create a formal seperate
space for the caucus members. This list has always been a somewhat odd
hybrid of a general platform for disussing IG related topics and a civil
society space for agreeing on advocacy positions. When I was co-chairing
the caucus, I was even a bit proud of the growing subscriber list and
the fact that we got more and more non civil society lurkers who found
our debates relevant enough to listen on a regular basis. I wouldn't
want to jeopardize the general platform function of this list. On the
contrary, I would do anything possible to ensure high quality
discussions that make it worth listening. A seperation of the two
functions of this list seems a potential death knell to me.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org