[governance] ISP liability - a critical IG issue

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 7 11:50:10 EDT 2008

Roland Perry schrieb:
> In message
> <7663C7E01D8E094989CA62F0B0D21CD901884142 at SUEXCL-02.ad.syr.edu>, at
> 07:11:59 on Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes

>> as it prepares a series of amendments for its Telecoms Package.
The vote on the amendments in the industry and trade committee European
Parliament is *today*. Plenary first reading will be on 2nd September.

>> As yet there seems to be little awareness by Europe's citizens over
>> what is being planned
That's also because the changes were introduced in stealth mode and last
minute. But the mainstream media are waking up now (maybe a little too late):
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7492907.stm>

> Therefore I'd be grateful for any specific information you have on
> which individual [Telecoms Framework] amendments are attempting to do
> this (as apart from anything else, it's the wrong Directive to be
> meddling in such things).

All relevant infos and documents as well as civil society campaign
material are here:
<http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Mobilisation_Paquet-Telecom>

More from the Open Rights Group:
<http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/07/02/write-to-your-mep-say-no-to-3-strikes-through-the-backdoor/>

A good paper on the lobbying background of the amendments:
<http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Image:Telecom_package.paper.monica.horten..28.june.2008.v5.pdf>

A good (and fun) narrative of the story unfolding:
<http://blogscript.blogspot.com/2008/07/three-strikes-and-youre-er-confused.html>

A machinima campaign video:
<http://www.stealth.strangecompany.org/>

Let me know if you need more. ;-)