[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:28:04 EST 2008

Dear Guru,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Guru <guru at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Dear Jeanette,
>
>  In an earlier mail you say, quote

<snip>

>  In an earlier mail to McTim I had raised the basic doubt I still have -
>  What is the principle for interpreting 'Technical community' as two very
>  distinct sets at the same time -

I don't see a distinction.

>  1. people who have participated in the creation and running of the Internet
>  - Loius Pouzin, Mc Tim, Vincent Cerf et al and

Wow, sandwiching my name in between these two giants is the biggest
compliment anyone has ever given me, thanks very much, but it is
wholly undeserved!

>  2. a set of organizations that are part of the current IG.
>
>  The second definition treating a group of organizations who make policy as
>  'community' is itself a rather major political problem since the distinction
>  between those who govern and those who are governed is lost. Can someone
>  enlighten me on this basic issue please..

In the Internet technical communities in which I am most active, the
governed are the "deciders" in other words, decisions are made by
consensus of the community.

I reject the notion that people who make policy can't be called CS, to
me, it's a false premise to base a logical argument on, and it flies
in the face of my personal experience

If you want to take this up, let's do it AFTER we get the caucus
statement done!

--
Cheers,

McTim