[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Feb 20 13:51:03 EST 2008

>>>That's TA's exact wording, Adam. Used to
>>>distinguish them from intergovernmental
>>>organizations.
>>

>>paragraph 35 e?
>
>Yes. This Para 35 has been referenced by
>Parminder since his earliest proposal draft.
>35: those who have a role (not necessarily the
>same). 35a gov, 35b biz, 35c cs, 35d IGOs, 35e
>"technical communiity" (ICANN and the like).
>36: "valuable contribution by the academic and
>technical communities within those stakeholder
>groups mentioned in paragraph 35"
>
>Who can honestly claim

Me. 35 was a paragraph we argued against over and
over, first in WSIS (it's taken from the Geneva
documents) up to the last minutes of the Tunis
negotiations.  It was one of the last paragraphs
still contested at about 10PM before the Tunis
Summit, if there'd been more time that ridiculous
language limiting civil society's role would have
been changed (I believe/hope.)

"Civil society has also played an important role
on Internet matters, especially at community
level, and should continue to play such a role. "

The chair apologized for not being able to get to
it, discussion was out of time.

WGIG tried to mend it, didn't work. It's offensive.

36 says:

36. We recognize the valuable contribution by the
academic and technical communities within those
stakeholder groups mentioned in paragraph 35 to
the evolution, functioning and  development of
the Internet.

"within those stakeholder groups" they are not
"International organizations" it means (a)
through (e).

Don't reference documents you don't understand.
International organizations is not code for ICANN
and the rest.  This paragraph

"We also agree that International organizations having an important role in
the development of Internet-related technical standards and relevant
policies should continue to be represented in the MAG. However, their
representation should not be at the expense of broader civil society
participation."

is wrong.  It should be cut.

International organizations should be observers.

The I*'s should be members, but not over represented as they are now.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org