[governance] SDOs and public input (Was: Reconstituting MAG

jlfullsack jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 14 04:23:46 EST 2008

Dear all

I'm following this very important thread and -despite I'm not an TCP/IP
guru- I feel some basics are highlighted in this discussion such as the
importance (the prerequisite) of infrastructure, and moreover its
architecture, i.e. the global distribution of the "fisrt class nodes". Even
this "hard" concepts are actual policy issues.
Remember where and how the SWIFT network was tapped and in whose interests
this official act of piracy was done.

In its message Stephane wrote :
"Will the IGF do the same with ITU? It is a much more closed SDO (and
which heartily embraced the concept of Lawful Interception, meaning
Big Brother can rely on the ITU to put wiretapping provisions in all
its standards...)"

Quite right, Stephane : ITU is in the very heart of this issue. There was a
revealing "radio silence" from the Geneva Tower during the SWIFT scandal, as
there was during the ECHELON affair and other "Big Brother (US) ventures".
This strange beheaviour should be addressed more strongly by civil society,
and condemned accordingly. I'd just refer to the good job done by the
Council of Europe and the European Parliament, whose well documented Reports
demonstrated the dangers and responsibilities in both these "Information
scandals".
Just one remark on the the ITU's closed character : if your (CS)
organization is (very) rich, it can become a member of this UN Agency. Just
put your money on the ITU desk and, depending on its amount, you'll be
"sector member" or (if your cash is lower) an "associated member". This
shows the actual difference between IETF (and other SDO) and the ITU in
terms of closed constituencies. Conversely, it allows its bosses to claim
the "openness" of the ITU and what's more its "multistakeholder character",
in line whith the WSIS recommendations.
This means that "openness" may just be an affair of criteria ...

All the best

Jean-Louis Fullsack