[governance] Comments on Rio - Suggestions for Delhi - main

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 14 03:59:51 EST 2008

Bill

> I meant that the whole thing should be about IG, institutions and issues,
> which is entirely consistent with your sentence (although you may have a
> special reading of that language).

I mean, well let me be blunt, we need to know whats happening about enhanced
cooperation (EC). Not only know, it is the right and the responsibility of
THE global Internet public policy forum ie IGF to discuss various options,
analyze advantages and disadvantages etc.  The greatest part of IG part of
TA is in fact a struggle to figure out the right way to say that the new
policy challenges in IG areas requires new responses and possibly new
insituional mechanisms. The EC language is a peg holder for these future
possibilities.

Are we as IGC not interested in this area? Do we not want to debate, and
influence these processes, and ask questions. IGC already has once written
to UN SG's special advisor expressing concern about whats happening and not
happening on EC, and staking claim that CS should be there whenever anything
happens. CS main role in policy spaces is deliberative, providing new
options, asking questions, extracting accountability etc - we can do most of
them through IGF itself in context of EC (not that we shd not participate in
EC processes proper, whatever they may be).

Are we happy to let people forget, especially when an extra-ordinary number
is keen to forget, that there is something like EC, which is an attempt to
answer the Internet policy challenges at the global level? What is our
collective position on this. (At present I am going by the IGC position
expressed in the said letter.)

Does it not qualify as one of the key public policy issues that IGF is
supposed to discuss. A main session with appropriate workshops arranged
around it will be the appropriate forum for this. That what is being sought
here. But it can be more general survey of the entire global Internet policy
framework, or absence of it, or gaps in it, rather than just EC, a concept
no one really knows much about.

As I understand

Either

(1) there is no need, present or emerging, for global Internet public policy
mechanisms. I don't think this is our position.

Or
(2) existing global IG institutions already do all the public policy that is
needed. But I am often told - latest by McTim, that ICANN neither does
public policy nor is keen to do it. So, either we accept that there are gaps
in public policy regime here, or accept the point of another set of people
who do insist ICANN etc does public policy, and also mostly say that it is
an illegitimate exercise.

Which makes it look we should be interesting in assessing, examining and
exploring the global Internet policy regime, exiting, emerging or potential,
as  a key public policy issue. That's what this main session will do.

> I meant that the whole thing should be about IG, institutions and issues,

As for the whole thing being about IG issues and institutions, we know that
the workshops happen the whole thing is not about them. And also that a
focused examination of EC and other specific insituional requirement issues
is at a different level.

I don't understand your point on
> Athens
> Rio, there was no overarching theme, really.

Weren't development and capacity building cross-cutting themes for both
Athens, and Rio. I can understand if oyu do not remember, because that
really means nothing. But the fact was prominently displayed in all official
docs etc.

> Sort of your pre-Rio formulation, a bit abstract as a main session rec.
> maybe specify what issues and institutions you're addressing?

That was Milton's formulation though I largely agreed with it. Does my
placing EC in the centre of the formulation make it clearer? A lot of people
- Wolfgang, McTim on this list, and some others like in the IGF workshop at
Delhi ICANN meeting are suggesting that EC is what is actually happening
right now at the IGF. Lets examine this perspective also.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org