[governance] Taking down a site [was: beijing ticket scam]

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:55:46 EDT 2008

Hi Ian Peter

Taking it up from your point about take-downs not being automatic
without validation, perhaps you or others can shed some light on a
parallel issue.

In the past few days, I've come across two racist websites, full of
hate speech, but not directly inciting racial hatred.

Any idea where I can report these sites? Someone at international
level or at national level in South Africa?

On 04/08/2008, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
> Thanks John. The site is now down, but I am interested in the process, as
>  this was a known scam since last March and was linked to via Forbes, MSNBC,
>  among others until they found out (somehow). And was live until a few hours
>  ago. That's a pretty healthy long life for such a site.
>
>  So am I to understand that the response in this case is purely an industry
>  self regulation one (via MAAWG and/or APWG). I have no problem with industry
>  self-regulation per se, but is there no legal loop, no ICANN loop, or do
>  police and/or Interpol complain to MAAWG or APWG (either?). Or is that
>  optional?
>

>  I see your point that takedowns can't be automatic without some validation.
>  But as you say, this would be an excellent area for some governance
>  guidelines!
>

>  Ian Peter
>  Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
>
> PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
>
> Australia
>  Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
>  www.ianpeter.com

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa