[governance] IGF workshops

Qusai AlShatti qshatti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 13:15:20 EDT 2008

Hi All:
First I would like to thank all the Caucus members who worked hard in
putting together the workshop proposals. Find below my Comments on each
proposal:

1. The Transboundary Internet: Jurisdiction, Control and Sovereignty
This is an important issue that needs to be understood by developing
countries. On a global level, we need to have a clear famework on how to
deal with the  transboundary Internet. Issues related to consumer
protection, copyrights, privacy and spam are just part of the issues that
relates to this topic which I hope that workshop will link its discusson to
them. I supoort this workshop. YES.

2. The Future of ICANN: After the JPA, What?
Indeed another important workshop which is linked to the Internet critical
resources theme. People in the development world need to know about it and
hear equally from all invovlved parties. With regard of Milton comment on
the need of a prespective from the developing countries, I will be more than
happy to provide a prespective on this issue (if needed). I also hope that
the participation of Nashwa Abdul Baki may help too. This is another
important Workshop which I fully support. YES.

3. A Rights Agenda for Internet Governance
Very unfortunate that the file did not open correctly in my browser but from
following some of the discussion on this workshop I do find that the topic
is important for all intennet users. I support this workshop. YES.

4. The role and mandate of the IGF
As Meryem said this is the flagship of the IGC. This is an important
workshop that we need to have in every IGC Meeting. On reason for this is
that it will always provide people who are new to the IG process the
necessary background they need to know. Another reason is that this workshop
is a kind of an assessment to what extent the IGC process was successful in
meeting its mandate according to the Tunis Agenda. What I would like to see
further in this workshop is a discussion on enhanced cooperation. I would
suggest also that a historical backgorund on the IG process would be
presented at the begining of the workshop. I support this Workshop. YES.

All the best,,

Qusai