[governance] IGF-Is Peering a Net Neutrality Issue?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 23:58:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian
<suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> John Levine wrote:
>
>  >
>  > On the other hand, I would hope that people who claim to be interested
>  > in Internet governance would make some effort to educate themselves
>  > about the way the Internet works before flying off the handle.
>  >

>  That would be a bit too difficult for them. Far tougher than simply
>  demanding a stake in governance, without doing anything at all to earn that
>  stake, or deserve the trust that'd need to be placed in them if they do get
>  that stake.

Testify bruddah!! If they got involved in my BUTOC processes more, I
would think this would lead to greater understanding.  I think there
is a limerick lurking in that thought, but I'll leave it for now.

In any case, this is an "operational matter", and thus excluded from
(at least) the process of EC, if not the IGF as a whole;

69. We further recognize the need for enhanced cooperation in the
future, to enable governments, on an equal footing, to carry out their
roles and responsibilities, in international public policy issues
pertaining to the Internet, but not in the day-to-day technical and
operational matters, that do not impact on international public policy
issues.

77. The IGF would have no oversight function and would not replace
existing arrangements, mechanisms, institutions or organizations, but
would involve them and take advantage of their expertise. It would be
constituted as a neutral, non-duplicative and non-binding process. It
would have no involvement in day-to-day or technical operations of the
Internet.

--
Cheers,

McTim