[governance] Internet Bill of Rights - Hoping there's progress .. wishing for it to succeed.

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Thu Sep 27 08:56:59 EDT 2007

Whatever one's perspecitves on the Bill of Rights, there is
a need to talk about rights, from many different
perspectives.

By fortunate coincidence I am in Rome this week for a
'participatory web for development' conference at the
Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) and I will spend
some time at the bill of rights meeting.

Thanks for help with directions and getting me registered
Vittorio.

Anriette

> Thanks, this is a valuable contribution.
>
> Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> > first a question..is there a mailing list? If not, let me suggest
> > one be created so that scholars and human rights professionals can
> > come together to discuss , and develop a draft that's universal
>
> Yes, there's a coalition website at
> http://www.internet-bill-of-rights.org, a mailing list at
> conference website at http://www.dfiritaly2007.it/ .
>
> > In summary, one can't just announce someone as grand as an "internet
> > bill of rights" and not engage others in a pro-active fashion. There
> > is great interest in this - but, to succeed as a global inititiave
> > -  it has to really be the work of an active international coalition
> >  and not just one person or one country.
>
> Sure, but someone has to start, and I think this is a problem for all
> dynamic coalitions; at least in terms of mailing list messages, apart
> from the Privacy one, the others seem to have activity levels that are
> similar to or even less than that of the Bill of Rights DC.
>
> Personally, I think that, more than at a monolithic Bill of Rights, we
> should be aiming at a practical "Internet rights framework" developed
> at the IGF, as the result of the coordinated work of all the
> coalitions. There already are too manyv high level documents, and not
> enough practical respect for human rights, or clarity about "down to
> earth" principles that any blogger and any webmaster can apply. The
> BoR coalition should thus discuss the conceptual and formal framework
> to get to several declarations of rights, all deriving from the
> fundamental statements of human rights, and all coming to a level
> which is clear, applicable and enforceable.
>
> On the other hand, this is for what I know the first attempt to a
> really multistakeholder approach to this discussion. In the past, the
> techies released their edicts, some NGOs did their own, and some
> governments also did the same. What we need is to understand how to
> put all of this together. -- vb.                   Vittorio Bertola -
> vb [a] bertola.eu   <-------- -------->  finally with a new website at
> http://bertola.eu/  <--------
> __

Anriette Esterhuysen, Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
PO Box 29755, Melville, South Africa. 2109
Tel. 27 11 726 1692
Fax 27 11 726 1692

     governance at lists.cpsr.org