[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Fri Sep 7 03:30:02 EDT 2007

Thanks for this clarification, Avri.

So it sounds like the vote was to pass the report through to the Board for
the Los Angeles meeting.  One wonders exactly how the Board will consider
and account for the public comments, of course.

Is there a formal requirement for the Board to account for public comments,
and if so what formal role do the public comments play in the Board
decision?  Can the Board simply ignore them if it chooses, or does it need
to provide some formal response to the comments in the course of making its
decision?

I'm not sure these details are described anywhere on the ICANN web site.
If so I don't know where.

One wonders what the chances are of convincing the Board to send (parts of)
this policy back for further work.  Perhaps a petition is in fact no less
effective than these public comments.

Thanks,
Dan

PS -- Apologies to McTim for continuing this thread under this subject
heading, but it keeps it intact for better or worse.  FWIW, Kieren started
this sub-thread, after generic discussions of CIRs, making specific the
ICANN reference, following a comment apparently of yours:

> In short, there is nothing "threatening the Internet Community",
> that's rhetoric coming from folk unwilling to join the process that
> they complain is "captured".  If CS feels strongly enough about this,
> there is only one way to reverse this "capture", and that is to join
> the Internet community fora.

And so on...

Maybe that would have been a good time to change the subject header, but
too late...

     governance at lists.cpsr.org