[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Thu Sep 6 22:31:57 EDT 2007

Veni,

The missing link here is still that ICANN outreach probably does not make
an effort to connect the techie details to issues of general public
interest.  Can you point me to the ads themselves anywhere?  I'd like to
see what they contained.

General journalists are generally not experienced enough to make
connections between techie details and public interest, but they are there
(though many insiders at ICANN seem to want to systematically shield that
reality from non-experts).

It could simply be that all the ads were ineffective at informing a general
public of the connection to their public interest.

The "general people" should not even treat the phone company as "their
phone company" these days.  The net neutrality movement in the U.S. is
making some headway there.

It's a difficult thing to explain how these policy developments at ICANN
affect general public interests, but when they are actually explained in a
way that general public people can understand, it does increasingly make a
difference.

I have a hard time believing that the ads had any potential at being
effective in this regard.  I don't know whether those writing/designing the
ads simply didn't have the expertise to do it right, or intentionally tried
to obscure the connection, but I suspect that one or both of these things
may have compromised the potential effectiveness of the ads.

Also, ad placements have to be widespread and consistent over time.
One-shots have little effect compared to ongoing campaigns, especially if
they are general in nature (adverstising ICANN as an institution rather
than advertising specific policy-making process that the public ought to
pay attention to).

Advertising is not automatically effective if it is poorly targeted,
conceived, designed and placed.  If those were the problems, then one
cannot claim that there was effective advertising in the first place.

In the experimental sciences, we call this "systematic error" in the
experimental process.  Of course, it help to have professional experts in
the area where one is experimenting, in order to design and execute a valid
experiment.

Do the people who were designing the ad campaign have professional
expertise in advertising and marketing, as well as enough expertise
available in both the technological and policy aspects of the pitch to get
the right message together for the right audience(s)?

I have my doubts.  Not to criticize anyone personally, but institutionally
ICANN may not be getting the right people in place to do this sort of job.

Dan

     governance at lists.cpsr.org