[governance] Re: what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 6 14:44:58 EDT 2007

> Another aspect: On this list I have repeatedly argued against any
> decision-making authority for civil society in binding international
> policy processes

Jeanette

What binding processes are you referring to....

And I find the whole argument strange... You seem not to want governments to
exercise power, and CS should not be part of any power system.... I find
such anarchic dispositions very dangerous to civilization.

Power is a part of every social structure, and is more formally approached
and acknowledged in public policy arenas... we cannot just wish away power
and authority.... and if one does so that simply serves the status quo.

More democratic and accountable power systems rely on distributed power -
and differentiated power roles - power of legislation, of execution, of
extracting accountability, of voting in governments, of media and flow of
information, power of advise, power of expertise etc etc ..... there are
many forms of hard and soft forms of power - and civil society has differing
roles in different areas...

I think some representatives of civl society (chosen in howsoever imperfect
manner) exercising power, along with the balancing presence of other
stakeholders, of laying agenda of global discussions on Internet policies,
and issuing non binding recommendations is quite right.... and very much
needed.

I wonder why and how you think MAG members do not exercise power at
present.... they of course do...

Recognizing power relationship is the first step in seeking structural
changes in favor of the disadvantaged, and refusing such recognition, a
simple propagation of the status quo.

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore