[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sat Oct 6 03:49:10 EDT 2007

On 6 okt 2007, at 02.10, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> If people responsible for running networks use a phrase like "global
> routing table(s)" to describe something (and they do) there's a very
> good chance that the phrase stands for something meaningful, and that
> there is utility in describing it as such.

i would agree.  while it is true that there is no global routing
table as in some list sitting in one place somewhere, the entire
point of routing protocols is to build a distributed global routing
table.   these days, that distributed table never settles down, i.e.
never converges, and hence there is never a single global table.  but
to say this is as if 'to say not only can you not put your foot in
the same river twice, you can't even but it in once'.  there still
are rivers, even if i can't put my foot in it even once.

it s also true that there is routing policy that is instantiated in
these tables and some of it has to do with financial and political
considerations - who will be allowed to transit a particular network
is often a business and/or political decision.

but having said that, i certainly don't find myself in favor of some
sort of top down policy control for these essentially local policy
decisions.    and the idea of some regulatory entity having something
to say about routing policy is somewhat frightening.

a.