[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Oct 5 04:38:32 EDT 2007

>Hi,
>
>I agree that arguing over the discussion will
>waste time in Rio.  But  not everyone accepts
>the same definition as you do and perhaps they
>would find that discussing cIr as defined by you
>would waste their time on future problems as
>opposed to the problems they face today.

not everyone accepts the same definition, but the
draft of Rio programme does give one to work
from.  I believe first proposed by China in the
last open consultation, and I think fair to say
supported by most members of the advisory group.

The programme says about CIR:

Critical Internet Resources:

Starting point for the discussion is the
definition contained in the WGIG report (Para 13
a):

"Issues relating to infrastructure and the
management of critical Internet resources,
including administration of the domain name
system and Internet protocol addresses (IP
addresses), administration of the root server
system, technical standards, peering and
interconnection, telecommunications
infrastructure, including innovative and
convergent technologies, as well as
multilingualization."

The session will use a baseline approach, taking
into account WSIS principles. The purpose of the
discussion is to bring out information and
opinion.

  - - - -

Not clear to me why China proposed this
particular definition (not the one I would have
picked).  But good luck to them.

I do not know exactly what is meant by a "baseline approach".

I think we must be clear we're preparing for an
IGF meeting not GAID (Internet Governance not
IT4D), and a lot of what's been said in this
thread about power and access makes me think of
IT4D.

Internet governance, from WGIG report again:

"the development and application by governments,
the private sector and civil society, in their
respective roles, of shared principles, norms,
rules, decision-making procedures, and programmes
that shape the evolution and use of the Internet".

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org