[governance] Re: Rudeness tectics (was Re: Reinstate the Vote)

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sat Nov 24 11:57:06 EST 2007

At 7:19 AM -0500 11/24/07, KovenRonald at aol.com wrote:
>Dear All --
>
>The problem with proposals to "moderate"
>rudeness is that they are a form of censorship.
>
>If there are persons who choose to be rude or
>offensive, they should be free to do so. Some of
>the reactions dubbing statements "ad hominem"
>are overly sensitive. And sometimes rude or
>offensive comments may in fact be justifiable.
>
>Those who make excessive comments are more or
>less automatically punished by having their
>views disqualified in the minds of large numbers.
>
>Calling for courteous discourse is fine.
>Choosing to ignore discourteous comments is
>fine, too. But one person's lack of politesses
>may be another's justified anger.
>
>"Ad hominem" attacks may be unpleasant, but
>knowing who it is who is saying what is not
>irrelevant. Jean-Paul Sartre once said that one
>should judge any statement in the light of "quel
>salaud l'a fait" -- "what bastard made it."
>
>As for defining "rudeness," I think any
>definition is bound to be open to criticism. It
>seems to me that it's more like the comment of a
>US Supreme Court justice who once said, speaking
>of "pornography," "I can't define it, but I know
>it when I see it."
>
>I think les salauds should be allowed to be
>salauds if that's what they want to be. The
>advantage is that by behaving that way they show
>themselves up for what they are, instead of
>hiding behind a screen of false politesse.
>
>If that position is liberalism run amok, so be it -- make the most of it.
>
>Bests, Rony Koven

I appreciate my friend Rony Koven's most literate
defense of the liberal view - it's a pleasure to
read such a well thought-out contribution.

In my experience, however, different conclusions
ensue from a wider take on the question.  And
that, of course, is what effective dialog is all
about, the opportunity to consider a range of
analyses.

In this view, human communities, across time -
literally eons - and today around the globe,
perennially return to a challenge:  how to deal
with the member who would insist on the primacy
of his/her position.  That is to say, this is a
universal, across cultures and time.

The problem is bluntest with the use of force to
wreak one's will, toward autocracy and so one
person's prevailing over others.  The same is
only slightly more submerged in economic affairs,
when the would-be monopolist tries to drag all
the marbles into his/her corner.  In the realm of
discourse, in what are always necessary
deliberations - to join separate individual's
contributions into common knowledge and reach
some conclusion - the same proclivity, to
individual hegemony, emerges from the human
character.

While not often treated as of the same cloth, I
believe we can understand - and hopefully gain
some traction for dealing - if we appreciate the
common thread underlying.

Of course the use of force in discussion takes a
form particular to discourse.  But we all, and
all folks, know it - Rony's quote is to the point
here, paraphrasing slightly, 'I know it when I
[feel] it.'  In particular, some individuals in
the discussion, rather than the supposed topic
itself, become the target.  (And disagreements
late at night in a bar commonly spill over into
fisticuffs or worse, in the street outside - of
course, the physical violence that may follow
political legerdemain in the idea space can be oh
so much uglier.)

What happens, when a discussion turns into
attacks (of whatever form)?  Wolfgang
Kleinwächter has just pointed out the shift from
Cyberdemocracy into Cybersecurity, with 9/11.
This was in response to an attack, and of course
on a global scale.  Groups trying to discuss also
shift in an entirely similar way, when the
would-be hegemonist mounts an attack in the
discourse.  The scale is micro, not global; but
the human response is entirely the same - the
defensive crouch.

I am so grateful to Kieren, that he took the
trouble to spell this out, unmistakably, with an
example we can see clearly:

>  I will refer to a comment inserted by Milton
>this morning as a perfect example of the sort of
>rudeness that this list could well do without.

>"Well, all I can say is that the reason most
>American business people are terrified of such
>voting is that they conclude (more accurately
>than you, I am afraid) that such a mechanism
>would empower the "new Internet world" of tens
>of millions of Chinese and Indians and, in
>relative terms, erode their current power. "
>

>The "more accurately than you, I am afraid" was
>deliberately provocative, added nothing to the
>discussion, came with no evidence or reasoned
>analysis, and both mocked Jacqueline and
>dismissed her honestly held viewpoint.
>
>It has no place in reasonable discussions. Which
>is a shame because Milton then went on to raise
>some interesting ideas about ALSes which I
>personally would be happy to discuss but which I
>won't respond to because of the unpleasantness
>earlier in the email.

I quote Kieren at length, because he spells out
the unfortunate denouement, from hunkering down:
otherwise useful discussion is shut off, in a
defensive response.  No longer is there the sort
of discussion we need, particularly sensitive
explorations of honestly held differences.  Which
are the only ways forward, to find new wisdom,
even consensus.  Instead, further exchange is
only on defense, or perhaps counter-attack.

Kieren points out how useful talk is stymied.
Not very much productive gets done.

And worse, just the folks who we might wish to
join will have more-than-second thoughts about
continuing to engage.  Life is about finding
(quality) playmates, and folks tend to gravitate
to more successful venues.  Why spend time where
useful talk is smothered under defensive silence
and the satisfactions circle around wounded prey?

Of course - harking back a moment to the wider
perspective - there are a myriad human responses
to this fundamental dilemma.  History and some
perspective make that clear.

What I believe is also clear is a basic trade, in
the choices made.  On the one side is letting it
all hang out; on the other side are the sort of
community standards made real through sanctions
as for instance Norbert spells out.  The first
enjoys the classical freedoms, but a good bit
less gets done (as is the perennial complaint
here).  The latter does the hard work of forming
community with enforced standards, but some
attack artists have their wings clipped.  And
there is always the danger of inbred insularity,
as any now-defined regime tracks forward.

Which of course is the debate about (classical)
liberalism, where this screed started.

Here is not the place ... that discussion goes on
in detail elsewhere for those concerned ... but
suffice it, here:  My own view sees classical
liberalism in some retreat, if viewed against any
scale.  The precipitous decline of US stature has
not helped the cause.  But other forces have long
militated for an ideology more nuanced and thus
more realistic.  Then we really get into the
tradeoffs above.

David