[governance] Re: DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Fri Nov 16 10:06:34 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 04:24:43PM -0800,
 Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote
 a message of 116 lines which said:

> Then there is the broader view of consistency, a view that I hold:
> That different root systems may offer different TLDs, but that where
> a TLD name is in common (e.g. .net or .org or .com, etc) that it has
> precisely the same contents, i.e. the delegation is the same.

That's a reasonable thing to do but you never provided a way to
implement it. At the present time, there are two different ".home" and
two different ".mp3" in wide use in various alternative roots. Who
will say which one is to be dropped? And how will it enforce it?

If there is a body in charge of this enforcement, congratulations, you
have invented a new ICANN and we have one root again.

If you rely on the good will and coordination of the root operators,
may I say that the lessons of the history push me towards pessimisim?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org